When warm weather comes, a lot of families put “spring cleaning” on their to-do list. Airing out the house and giving it a deep cleaning gives a welcome sense of freedom after several months of cold winter temperatures and hunkering down indoors. But is your HVAC system part of your spring-cleaning to-do list? If not, it should be. We’ll give you tips on how to your HVAC system for the upcoming seasons and how to extend the life of your unit.
Why Does This Matter?
The system takes air in and “breathes” air out. Through normal daily activities, we tend to generate a lot of contaminants and air pollutants such as dander, dust, and chemicals that settle in our homes. These contaminants are pulled into the HVAC system and are recirculated five to seven times a day, causing a buildup of contaminants in the ductwork.
Your HVAC Checklist
The checklist below is to ensure that your HVAC system is functioning efficiently and ready to handle the warm temperatures of spring and summer:
- Change the furnace filter. Filters get dirty, especially if there are pets in the home (contributing dander and hair to the system). At a minimum, change the filter twice a year, in the spring and in the fall. If you or any family members suffer from allergies or asthma, consider changing the filter more often, monthly. If the unit is located in a place that’s difficult to reach, call a local HVAC professional to assist you.
- Get rid of clutter. The more cluttered your home is, the more opportunity there is for dust and allergens to accumulate, thereby reducing indoor air quality. Spring is a great time of year to make a clean sweep — sell unwanted items at a yard sale or round them up and donate to your local charity.
- Make sure your compressor can breathe freely, too. Are weeds and shrubberies making your air conditioning unit feel claustrophobic? Give it room to breathe and function efficiently by clearing out at least a 2’ radius around and above the compressor.
- Most importantly, have your system cleaned professionally. There is no substitute for having a licensed technician perform a professional inspection and cleaning.
How We Can Help
Howell Services provides expert HVAC service and maintenance to customers throughout the Fort Bend County area. We recommend a comprehensive precision tune-up and professional cleaning twice a year that includes the following 23-point checklist:
- Check and inspect heat exchanger
- Clean and adjust burner assembly
- Clean ignition assembly
- Examine heat exchanger
- Monitor flue draft
- Monitor refrigerant pressure
- Test starting capabilities
- Test safety controls
- Check and clean standard air filters
- Clean and adjust blower components
- Measure for correct airflow
- Tighten electrical connections
- Measure volts/amps
- Lubricate all moving parts
- Adjust thermostat calibration
- Clean evaporator coil if accessible
- Clean condenser coil
- Clean condensate drains
- Measure temperature difference
- Apply protective coating to unit
- Adjust gas pressure
- Adjust pilot
- Monitor a/c and heating cycle
Howell Services offers air-conditioning repair service as well as extensive preventative maintenance plans. Our technicians are fully licensed, insured and bonded, and we offer competitive pricing and a 100% Satisfaction Guarantee. Call today to schedule your service and be ready for spring!
Do you have any other tips you’d like to share? We’d like to hear from you!