You keep your bathtub and shower clean, but did you know your shower head needs a good cleaning, too?
For one thing, a showerhead can get clogged with a noticeable build-up of mineral deposits, limescale, rust, or any combination thereof. If you notice that your shower seems to have reduced water pressure or an uneven spray, this “gunk” is likely the culprit.
And, as gross as it sounds, a clogged showerhead can also harbor bacteria, thereby delivering a healthy blast of germs every time you turn on the spray. In fact, according to a study conducted by the National Academy of Sciences, your showerhead could actually make you sick. Nobody wants that!
So, what can you do to clean and disinfect a dirty shower head?
If you’re the handy type, you can try cleaning the showerhead yourself. Try these simple DIY tips:
- First, clear the nozzles on the showerhead. Try massaging the rubber holes with your finger or an old, soft toothbrush to dislodge the debris. You can also insert a thin wire like the one found on a safety pin to unclog the nozzles.
- Next, clean the showerhead* with white vinegar. White vinegar contains acids that can naturally break down the elements that have accumulated over time. Try one of the following methods:
- Remove the showerhead and soak it in a bucket of warm water and white vinegar for several hours or overnight. Or
- Pour white vinegar into a plastic bag and use a twist tie or elastic band to secure it onto the showerhead. Make there is enough vinegar to fully immerse the showerhead. Leave it for several hours or overnight.
- Use a soft toothbrush to loosen any remaining debris. Then, reattach the showerhead (if you removed it) and flush with warm water.
*Note: For brass, gold, or nickel-coated showerheads, only soak for 30 minutes as vinegar can damage these finishes.
If the DIY method doesn’t do the trick (or you just don’t have the time or energy), it’s time to replace your shower head!
Howell Services provides reliable, quality plumbing services to residences and small businesses throughout the Fort Bend area. Right now, we’re offering 15% off a new shower head! Call Howell Services today to schedule your repair or comprehensive plumbing inspection.
We are proud to stand behind our 100% Satisfaction Guarantee — if you are not completely satisfied with the work we have performed, we will come back and repair it for free.