Homeowners know that plumbing repairs can be expensive. That’s why it’s important to know what you can do to handle minor plumbing problems and when you need to call in the plumbing experts. Here we share with you plumbing tips for you to handle those basic plumbing problems before calling in an experienced Sugar Land, Katy, or Montgomery County plumbing professional. Having these tips at your disposal can save you both time and money.
Ten Plumbing Checks
- Handle leaky faucets quickly. If your sink is leaking, check for worn parts that need replacing and tighten screws. The cost of wasted water can add up quickly. While you may see a small leak as merely a nuisance, it can rapidly become a significant, costly problem. Check for leaks at joints and where hoses connect to faucets. You can often repair obvious leaks with fiberglass repair tape or plumber’s putty. If you have a leak within the walls, floors, or in the attic, you will have to call a plumber.
- Address clogged drains with a plunger. Get a good seal and apply force on the plunger to loosen a tough clog. If the clog persists, check the trap under your sink. Place a bucket under the pipes and turn off the water before loosening the couplings to open and clean the drain. If you have a snake, you can use this to free the clog. Remember to steer clear of drain cleaners. They can damage your pipes and cause harm to you and your family. Check out the separate section about clogs below for more information.
- Running toilets can waste a ton of water. When your toilet constantly runs, jiggle the handle. If it continues to run, look inside the tank. Make sure the lift chain is free from the lift arm. Bend the arm down to shut the water off. Make sure the flapper has a good seal around the drain. Check to see if you need to replace your flapper or flapper valve.
- If your garbage disposal isn’t working, try the reset switch on the bottom side. Turn off or unplug your disposal, reach into it, and feel for something that could be caught in the appliance.
- While it’s best to call a plumber to repair your water heater, you can check for sediment. Turn off your electric water heater or set your gas water heater to pilot or turn off the gas before starting. Turn off the cold-water valve located on top. Put a hose on the appropriate spigot and turn the valve back on to drain the tank.
- You can stop overflowing toilets by plugging the hole under the tank. Remove the tank lid and press down on the flush valve. This will give you the chance to use a plunger on the clog that is causing the overflow.
- Make sure everyone in the household knows where to find your water cut-off valve. Plumbing problems often lead to flooding.
- Check your toilet for leaks by using food coloring. If you see staining around your bowl after half an hour, you have an issue around the flapper.
- Keep essential replacement parts and repair tools handy. Be prepared for quick repairs by stocking up on toilet kits, rubber gaskets, and other small parts. Purchase an effective plunger and home auger to help with clogged sinks and toilets.
- Pour dishwashing liquid down your kitchen sink while running the hot water and garbage disposal to prevent grease buildup.
A Note About Drains
When you notice that sinks, bathtubs, and showers are draining slower than usual, or if you hear gurgling noises, there is probably an issue at the main drain if multiple drains are backing up. If any of your drains are completely clogged, call in a professional plumber.
Preparing for a Plumbing Appointment
If you have tried these fixes and need a plumber, turn off the water at the main valve. Clear the area they will need to access. Move pets to another room. Think about the answers to these common questions plumbers ask:
When did you first notice the problem?
What have you done to attempt to repair the problem?
Howell Services is Here to Help You
Howell Services can address any of your plumbing problems quickly and efficiently. If you have a plumbing emergency, give us a call now at 281-232-5292. Our licensed, experienced, and insured plumbers will diagnose your plumbing issue and expertly provide needed repairs. If you’re dealing with plumbing issues that persist, schedule your appointment today!